Values and behaviours are two of the most important aspects of any workplace. They dictate how we interact with our colleagues, and can have a huge impact on our productivity. Today, let’s do a deep dive into the importance of values and behaviours in the workplace, and how to create a positive work environment. We will also provide some tips for implementing these values and behaviours in your business!
What are values and why are they important in the workplace?
Values are the guiding principles that dictate our behaviour. They help us to make decisions and shape our interactions with others. When it comes to the workplace, values can have a huge impact on our productivity and job satisfaction.
There are reasons why values are so important in the workplace:
- If everyone in the workplace is living by the same set of values, it creates a sense of community and respect.
- Values can improve your bottom line, possibly because values help to create a positive work environment, which leads to increased productivity and improved working relationships.
There are a few key values that we believe are important in the workplace:
These are just a few examples, but there are many other values that you could choose to focus on in your workplace. The important thing is that you select values that are important to you and your team, and that you make an effort to live by these values every day.
What behaviours are important in the workplace, and why are they so important?
Now that we’ve talked about the importance of values in the workplace, let’s move on to behaviours.
Behaviours are the actions that we take in response to our values. They are how we choose to live out our values in our everyday lives. Just like values, behaviours can have a huge impact on our productivity and job satisfaction.
Why behaviours are so important in the workplace?
- When everyone in the workplace is behaving in a respectful and cooperative manner, it leads to increased productivity and improved working relationships.
- Employees want to work for companies where they feel like their values will be respected. By having a workplace that is based on positive behaviours, you will be able to attract and retain the best employees.
Based on the values listed above, we could encourage the behaviours below in the workplace:
- Respectful communication
- Cooperating with others
- Honesty in all interactions
- Fairness in decision making
There is a wealth of evidence that shows the importance of values and behaviours in the workplace. Here are just a few examples:
- A study by the University of Michigan found that values-based companies have a higher rate of return on investment than those without values-based cultures.
- According to research by the Institute for Corporate Productivity, employees at values-based companies are almost three times more likely to be fully engaged in their work.
- A study by the Harvard Business Review found that values-based leadership is one of the key predictors of long-term organizational success.
How can you implement values and behaviours in your business to create a positive work environment for your team members?
Now that we’ve talked about the importance of values and behaviours, let’s move on to how you can implement these values in your workplace.
There are a few key steps that you can take to create a values-based workplace:
- Choose values that are important to you and your team. Make sure that everyone is on board with these values.
- Encourage behaviours that align with your values. You can do this by setting an example yourself, and providing feedback when people exhibit positive behaviours.
- Create a system for holding people accountable to your values. This could involve regular check-ins, or having a process for dealing with infractions.
- Make sure that your values are visible in your workplace. This could include hanging up posters or putting values-based quotes on your website.
By taking these steps, you can create a positive work environment that is based on mutual respect and cooperation. Your team will be more productive, and you will be able to attract and retain the best employees. values and behaviours are important in the workplace!
Are there any challenges or obstacles you might face when trying to implement values and behaviours in your workplace, and how can you overcome them?
One of the challenges you might face when implementing values and behaviours in your workplace is getting everyone on board. It can be difficult to get everyone to buy into your values if they don’t feel like they’re a good fit for the workplace.
To overcome this challenge, you can try to explain why you chose the values, and how you think they will benefit the workplace. You can also encourage people to give feedback, and listen to their suggestions about which values would be most important to them.
Another obstacle you might face is holding people accountable to company values. To overcome this obstacle, you can try to create a system for accountability, such as regular check-ins. You can also make sure that company values are visible in the workplace so that people are reminded of them on a daily basis.
If you face challenges when trying to implement values and behaviours in your workplace, don’t despair! With a little effort, you can overcome them and create a positive work environment for your team members.
What are the benefits of having values and behaviours in the workplace, both for employees and employers alike?
Values and behaviours affect employees and employers alike. Your organisation may enjoy enhanced communication, productivity and morale in the work environment. Employees will be more inclined to stay with your organisation and you will have greater options for hiring top talent. Win-win!
How can you make sure that values and behaviours remain an integral part of your workplace culture over time?
Summing it all up…
Values and behaviours are important in the workplace. They can help to create a positive work environment, and improve communication, productivity, and morale. If you want to make sure that values and behaviours remain an integral part of your workplace culture over time, take steps to encourage employees to live the values, hold people accountable to company values, and make sure that values are visible in your workplace.
With a little effort, you can create a positive work environment for your team members that will last for years to come.
Get in touch with us today and discover how ChandlerWoods can help you identify and attract the right talent to your organisation.